“Declan Burke is his own genre. The Lammisters dazzles, beguiles and transcends. Virtuoso from start to finish.” – Eoin McNamee “This bourbon-smooth riot of jazz-age excess, high satire and Wodehouse flamboyance is a pitch-perfect bullseye of comic brilliance.” – Irish Independent Books of the Year 2019 “This rapid-fire novel deserves a place on any bookshelf that grants asylum to PG Wodehouse, Flann O’Brien or Kyril Bonfiglioli.” – Eoin Colfer, Guardian Best Books of the Year 2019 “The funniest book of the year.” – Sunday Independent “Declan Burke is one funny bastard. The Lammisters ... conducts a forensic analysis on the anatomy of a story.” – Liz Nugent “Burke’s exuberant prose takes centre stage … He plays with language like a jazz soloist stretching the boundaries of musical theory.” – Totally Dublin “A mega-meta smorgasbord of inventive language ... linguistic verve not just on every page but every line.Irish Times “Above all, The Lammisters gives the impression of a writer enjoying himself. And so, dear reader, should you.” – Sunday Times “A triumph of absurdity, which burlesques the literary canon from Shakespeare, Pope and Austen to Flann O’Brien … The Lammisters is very clever indeed.” – The Guardian

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Down These Green Streets A Man Must Go …

They say a week is a long time in politics, but a day can be a hell of a time in the writing business too. In the last 24 hours or so, I’ve had one novel rejected by an American publisher; interest expressed in a different novel by another American publisher; and strong interest expressed by an Irish publisher in the non-fiction project DOWN THESE GREEN STREETS. I’ve also moderated a panel of Aifric Campbell, Ed O’Loughlin and Peter Murphy for the Dublin Writers’ Festival, and had my plans for world domination thwarted by Amazon / Kindle (you can’t publish to Kindle unless you have a U.S. bank account - boo). Meanwhile, I’m lightly redrafting a novel I’d kind of forgotten about – this is the one I propose to upload to Kindle – and finding myself pleasantly surprised with it. I might even post the first chapter up hereabouts, just for some feedback … because I really don’t have enough going on right now.
Methinks I need a holiday, folks ...

7 comments:

Alan Griffiths said...

Hi Dec, if the novel you are re-drafting is the sequel to Eight Ball Boogie then I would love to read the first chapter here on CAP. I have EBB and TBO on my bookshelf at home, both of which I thoroughly enjoyed. Best of luck in your efforts to get the follow ups published – hopefully in hard copy print, which I think, your writing talent richly deserves. Chin up and keep punching mate!

Anonymous said...

So you've not been too idle, then.

adrian mckinty said...

Down These Green Streets and Gonzo are going to get you a lectureship at Trinity - mark my words. You'll have to start playing cricket and talking like Conor Curise O'Brien.

adrian mckinty said...

meant to say Conor CRUISE O'B.

And here's the man talking in that curious Anglo Irish accent of his. Nice cheesy music at the beginning of the clip too.

Declan Burke said...

Alan, squire? You're a tonic for the troops, God bless your cotton socks. All I need now is a million people with your good taste, and we're all away for slates ...

Ms Witch - I like to keep busy. It keeps me off the streets and out of trouble.

Adrian - a lectureship at Trinity, no less. And Conor Cruise O'Brien. I honestly don't know if you're trying to compliment me or piss me off ...

Cheers, Dec

Peter Rozovsky said...

What else did you do this week?
==============
Detectives Beyond Borders
“Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home”
http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

Declan Burke said...

Peter - I stubbed my little toe and broke the nail at the root, had to go to a chiropodist. But that's about it, really ...

Cheers, Dec